A work in progress!

Review: Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a more substantial story than the previous books in the Alpha and Omega series, because this was a pretty serious police procedural mystery, in addition to dealing with Charles and Anna's relationship. It was nice to see Anna stepping up as a confident and competent woman, and to have her be seen that way by everyone she encountered, most of all including Charles and Bran. Her strength of character may have been a tiny bit over-emphasized, but it wasn't a big annoyance. Charles's struggle with his role as Bran's enforcer made sense given his character development as well, it really used his history and nature. The resolution to his troubles may not have been as satisfying as I could have hoped for, it was a bit abrupt, but it wasn't awful. The mystery was very good overall. I really enjoyed the interaction it allowed between the humans, werewolves and fae, and the secondary characters were quite good. I did have my suspicions about how things would play out, but it there were layers to the story that kept it interesting. And the twist in the end was terrific. It will have a huge impact on the next Mercy book, but I'm sure Briggs will be explain it enough that anyone who hasn't read this yet won't feel lost. (But of course it will be more fun if you've read this first.)

Note: This book takes place just after River Marked in the Mercy Thompson series. The official timeline is on the author's forum site



View all my reviews

4 comments:

Maria April 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM  

Can't argue with your points, but this book will easily be one of my best reads for 2012 (at least so far.) I LOVE the Alpha and Omega series, even more than the Mercy ones. They just rock. I enjoyed the first book and the prequel the most, but all of these books are strong. Love them!

Greytfriend April 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM  

I'm glad you love them, Maria! I bet you like romance, Briggs seems to have focused this series more on exploring the relationship, where the Mercy series is a bit more about conflicts and mysteries. I love both series, but I tend to go more for urban fantasy than romance, so I guess that showed in my review, didn't mean to slight the series at all. Plus it was just a longer book than the last two. But Charles definitely is my favorite of the guys in either series.

Hunting and Fishing Stores June 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM  

I am so behind on the Mercy series and this one. I loved the novella to this one and the first book. Looks like I've been missing out. Sorry to hear that Hunting Ground and River Marked disappointed. I still think I'd enjoy those since I like the characters so much. :)

Greytfriend June 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM  

Oh no, I wouldn't say that either book disappointed. Certainly not River Marked, I'm always a big fan of every Mercy book. There were some awkward points in Hunting Ground, and this book was just a bit more to my taste because I'm more an urban fantasy than romance girl, but I like both series very much. You should definitely catch up! I'm always happy to escape into this world, it's a guaranteed win for all of her fans, she's really one of the most consistent writers out there, wonderful characters, great stories. Though I'm not a big fan of the graphic novel adaptation of the Alpha & Omega series, maybe that's the confusion. I just don't like the art at all, it really throws me off more than any other series I've ever seen. But other people are fans so you should take a look for yourself.

Post a Comment

My new little sweetheart of a mutt

My new little sweetheart of a mutt

Such a goober

Such a goober

Always in my heart

Always in my heart

  © Blogger template Noblarum by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP